Saturday, September 17, 2011

7th time is the charm!

I ran out of cash today, which meant that I needed to find an ATM. Easy enough. Down the street there was an ATM that Nikki had pointed out so I headed that way. Inside the air-conditioned cubicle, I inserted my card, selected the English option, and attempted to withdraw cash. "DENIED," it said, "Card not supported." So I continued on, sure that I would find another one. And I did find another one, four of them, all for the same bank as the first. Hopeful, yet not expecting much, I tried it. Denied again! Further along down the road, I encountered EMart, a rather large grocery and everything else store. I wandered around its multiple entrances until I found a Citibank ATM. Despite it's American roots, this Citibank ATM did not have an English option. I fumbled at it for a few moments until a man gestured to have his turn. After taking his turn, he showed me what buttons to press...and still no luck. Defeated, I walked out the first set of doors, and much to my amazement I found a row of four ATMS belonging to four different banks! What luck. The one on the far end was available so I tried that one first. No luck. I waited for the next one and tried that one. No luck. I waited in line for the third one. No luck. Unabated, I waited for the fourth one. Success!



Armed with cash, I wandered the EMart in search of tea. No luck on the black tea, but I did manage to find corn silk tea and buckwheat tea. Alongside the tea was a selection of breads. All white, except a few had pictures of corn on them. Eager to have a nice piece of toast, I choose the "corn" bread.



Later in the day I brought a more extensive grocery list to an even larger everything store called Home Plus. Home Plus is a mecca for grocery store snackers like myself. At the end of every aisle there was a woman offering samples of dumplings, juice, and meat. Juggling snacking and finding my way around the store, however, proved to be a bit of a challenge. I could not say what those Koreans were thinking as they saw me circle around for the third and fourth times.....

1 comment:

  1. I just love that picture of a loaf of bread with a corn cob picture. All the food pictures are fantastic - the vast amount of little dishes on the table ... looks like so many wonderful treats!

    ReplyDelete