Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Korean Orphanage

The smallest boy in a pink sweatsuit peeked out from behind the door at the end of the hall wallpapered with blue sky and white clouds, then ran back. "He's shy," they say. One of the women took him by the hand and walked him towards where the other children were playing, his tiny hand slipped out of hers and he ran off to the safety of the quiet back room. Again she brought him and again he ran off, quickly and quietly seeking the comfort of solitude.

Tentatively he stood in the doorway at the end of the blue sky hall. I looked at him. Uncertainly he looked back. He took a step, I smiled. Another step. Another. Rummaging around for anything, I grasped a simple wooden ca, pushed it his way. Serious faced, he took the car, and pushed it back to me. Back and forth, back and forth in the relative peace of the hall away from the crowd of kids in the playroom. Closer, closer, another car in the mix, and closer still. He handed me his car, I handed him his. Uncertain, step by step. I walk that way too.


No comments:

Post a Comment