Clutching my printed online reservation confirmation, I boarded the bright red "City Tour" bus outside the train station. "Ticket?" The tour guide inquired. Handing her my reservation, she asked again, "Ticket?" Met by my puzzled face, she escorted me off the bus, up the stairs, and through the station to a desk where my reservation sheet was traded for a ticket. Back on the bus, glancing around, I realized that I would be attending today's tour with a small group of Korean grandmas and grandpas. We were each given a tiny box containing two warm walnut cookies, the local specialty, and we were on our way.
Our first stop, out in the surrounding countryside, was at a memorial for a local individual who figured prominently in the independence movements. Unfortunately, the tour was conducted entirely in Korean and the site had but one small English sign that explained that this individual had led independence movements.
Our next stop was also at a site commemorating an leader in the independence movement, Yu Gwan Soon.
At lunchtime, our tour guide was very concerned about what I was to eat. She pointed me in the direction of a "Paris Baguette" (a bakery) and a 7-Eleven, but I assured her that I did eat Korean food. We went to a small eatery where the bus driver shared rice cakes with us and I tried to enjoy a less than great bowl of bibimbap (rice with stuff in it).
After lunch, we went to Independence Hall, a museum that commemorates the Korean fight for independence on a grand scale. Of the seven buildings of exhibits, I only had time to get through one and a half.
The last stop was the Cheonan Museum. I trailed behind the Korean tour and ran into a volunteer docent who cheerfully spoke to me in English and recounted his days as a young teacher working alongside a Peace Corps volunteer. Later I ran into him again and he showed me around the models of traditional Korean homes that were displayed outside.
Our first stop, out in the surrounding countryside, was at a memorial for a local individual who figured prominently in the independence movements. Unfortunately, the tour was conducted entirely in Korean and the site had but one small English sign that explained that this individual had led independence movements.
Our next stop was also at a site commemorating an leader in the independence movement, Yu Gwan Soon.
At lunchtime, our tour guide was very concerned about what I was to eat. She pointed me in the direction of a "Paris Baguette" (a bakery) and a 7-Eleven, but I assured her that I did eat Korean food. We went to a small eatery where the bus driver shared rice cakes with us and I tried to enjoy a less than great bowl of bibimbap (rice with stuff in it).
After lunch, we went to Independence Hall, a museum that commemorates the Korean fight for independence on a grand scale. Of the seven buildings of exhibits, I only had time to get through one and a half.
The last stop was the Cheonan Museum. I trailed behind the Korean tour and ran into a volunteer docent who cheerfully spoke to me in English and recounted his days as a young teacher working alongside a Peace Corps volunteer. Later I ran into him again and he showed me around the models of traditional Korean homes that were displayed outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment